I Got Myself a New MacBook!

I got my very first iPhone on my sixteenth birthday and half a year later my very first MacBook Air followed suit and since then I've been using Apple products. My first MacBook Air 11" lasted roughly four years before I replaced it with another MacBook Air 11" where the most noticeable differences were the fact that the keyboard had lights in it and the screen quality was improved. I've loved my second MacBook Air so very much and I have written millions of words on it through the years. But at nearly 4.5 years of age, I thought it was about time to get myself a new beloved laptop.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a new MacBook ever since my old one got water damaged back in August of last year and I was worried that it couldn't be saved. I was endlessly thankful that it was salvageable but at the same time, every computer starts to get little quirks as they grow older from wear and tear. And I spend so many hours on my laptops, watching videos across different platforms, scrolling through social media and perhaps most importantly writing to my heart's content. It's bound to cause them to slow down a little in their old age.

At the same time, I'm such a loyal person and when I embrace a piece of anything as mine I don't let it go until it starts falling apart at the seams. When I love something, I hold onto it with all of my might and I relish in it. I might be "hard" on my stuff, with the heavy use but despite wanting to look after my things I'm still very much of the belief that you need to use your stuff rather than have them sitting pretty and untouched in some weird attempt at preservation.

It might also have something to do with my instinctive resistance to change, especially when I like where I am. It's kind of an if it aint broke, don't fix it attitude. It's a whole lot easier when the transition is smooth and my new replacement resemble the old one. While it is still a MacBook and therefore similar in a whole lot of ways, it still felt a little weird (but also exciting) to switch over to another model. It was mostly prompted by the fact that the Air model 11" has gone out of production and you can only get the 13" now. However, this new baby is 12" and virtually the same size as my old baby, as can be seen below.


My new MacBook even fit into the old protective case, even if it is a little bit of a tight fit. It's slightly longer, to allow for the speakers over the keyboard but it's actually less wide than my old model. I might also be a little bit in love with the colour. I picked space grey for my latest iPhone (which is 2.5 years at the moment) and I absolutely adored the fact that they extended the colour range. I like the classic Mac colour a lot but I felt like it was time to switch it up (just a little) and this dark aesthetic was hugely appealing for me. It just looks so sleek and inviting.

Of the new designs that I have to get used to the most noticeable is the fact that the space around the screen now is black and reflective rather than the usual grey texture. It's a look I have always associated with the MacBook Pro which got the design first. However, it's something they incorporate in every new MacBook design regardless of model, so it was only a matter of time before I had to adapt it. The other big thing, and the thing I was the most nervous about, was without a doubt the keyboard. Like mentioned, I spend a lot of my computer time typing and I have a big thesis project coming up, as well as my usual love for writing endlessly long fictional stories. I needed a nice feel for my fingers as they danced across the keys and I knew the keyboard mechanism had gotten redesigned between my two laptops.

However, I pushed away that uncertainty as I vaguely remembered that the keyboard mechanism had also changed slightly between my two first MacBooks (despite how similar those were) and back then, I thought that my second MacBook Air had very shallow keys and it felt a little odd to type on them. I came to completely fall in love with that feel and I trust that I'll feel the same about this bad boy, which has even flatter and softer keys that'll take a little getting used to. Saying that, I've been typing this whole blog post so far without any significant trouble and I can touch type without any problem like usual.


I won't classify myself as a tech nerd but I do love getting new stuff and setting it all up. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my old favourites in Safari had gotten saved (supposedly on my Apple ID since I chose to set this up as a new laptop) and all my codes and log ins worked like a charm. The only other thing I was a little apprehensive about was the fact that it doesn't have a usual USB plug in but I decided to buy an adapter along with the laptop, which solved that problem before it even arose.

The sound is a huge improvement, the sharp visuals are stunning and it just feels lovely to both touch and navigate through. I don't really follow the trend of changing out my stuff every time there's a new model or design and I don't need the newest stuff. The model I have will automatically become my favourite because it's the one I have and I form such a deep bond to my stuff. I want a bit to just walk around and hug this sleek and thin model. It feels so light in my hands and it's the perfect size to drag around without any big hassle. I can take it everywhere and enjoy having such a compact powerhouse at my side.

I'm just a little bit in love with it and I suppose that it's about time now that I get ready to write that thesis, which was one of the main reasons that I wanted to invest in a new laptop. My old one had, on the rare occasion, an unfortunate habit of shutting down or going dark momentarily without reason. It's not something you want when you're working on such a big academic project. That being said, I can't deny that there was a part of me that has also been looking forward to getting this colour MacBook ever since the colour was first introduced. I know it has no actual bearing on functionality of the laptop but it just makes me love it a little more.

And I think that's enough laptop rambling for today but it's not every day that I get a new one. Let me have my fun and childlike excitement once every four years.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts