Halfway through my bachelor

So, I'm at this stage in my education where I know mostly what the courses will be like and what is expected of me. I've always been "good" at going to exams, maybe it's because I've been to riding competition since my pre-teenage years, and trust me then you'll learn to stay calm or your horse will be running wild. Still, I make mistakes when I study for exams and most of them I know will be mistake while I do them but I just don't have my heart in it.


It can be extremely tempting to say "f*ck it all" but in the end you do need to pass your courses to get your degree.

Every semester, we have four courses and you'll always have favourites and some that you aren't that fond of. I had two courses that I really liked, as in I thought they were interesting and I was naturally kind of good at them. Then I had one I strongly disliked and one I thought was interesting but had great difficulties understanding.

I'm the kind of person that read throughout the semester and then mostly do exercises as preparation up to the exam itself. In one of the courses I liked, I intently studied the material and compiled a document with notes to take to my written sit-in exam. That worked out great, although in-hindsight I realised that I had made a few small mistakes, and I got a B.

For the other one I liked, I wasn't sure what to study, so I didn't study at all. This is usually a very bad idea, you give yourself so bad odds even if you think you're good at the course. I was thankfully lucky and got a B but I think I might have been able to raise my grade to an A if I had studied a bit more.

I had major issues with my third exam. A month before we had handed in a paper that wasn't very good and during writing it, I had been a bit stressed. So, mentally I was so finished with that course already and I wasn't prepared for the oral exam. I didn't study at all, neither did I re-read our crap assignment. I went in not knowning a lot and generally feeling a bit worn-down and just got the lowest passing grade. I know I should have studied but when you have several exams, almost on top of each other, then you need to prioritise and you can't win them all...

For the very last of my exam, I could prepare to pick one of 19 known questions and I did an in-depth answer to each question before exam. We had also handed in a assignment earlier and would get a question for that too. I studied harder for this exam than any of the others and I did so because I knew that I wasn't very good at it but wanted to be. Of course, I was more competent in some areas and that is where luck plays a rather big part. That day I did have luck on my side and I picked something I was okay at and got a B.

I believe that luck follows the hard-working

You should always try to do your best but you should also manage your time. Most of the time you won't have enough time to do everything you should but that's okay. Time management is essential when studying for exams. I make schedules and maybe spend a bit too much time scheduling what to read or do when. But it calms my mind and that will pay off in the end.


It is obvious advice but I urge anyone to follow it regardless. Sometimes the simplest things are the best. If you can take it easy and remain calm while remembering that this exam isn't that important in the large perceptive, you most likely will do better.

Comments

Popular Posts