Be kind and appreciate people - #NicerInternet

Sometimes, it's hard to remember to stop and appreciate what you have or what people do for you. It doesn't make it less important. Don't be the person that only realised they appreciated something once it was gone.

I try to be kind. I hold open doors for strangers, pick up the trash my friends leave behind on public tables and I tell my family and friends how much I love and appreciate them. It's amazing to believe that you can affect someone's day or their entire mood, just by being kind to them. I do have a temper in certain situations but trust me, kindness gets you further than anger.



I spend a lot of time on the internet, maybe too much. It is an amazing phenomenon that connects people all over the world. I watch YouTubers at least an hour a day and sometimes it baffles me that I can find people I simply like to listen to talk and it might brighten my day.

I am a firm believer in the fact that you always should give praise when it is earned. If you like something someone made, tell them. They'll greatly appreciate it. Wouldn't you if you had put hard-work and energy into something?


The other day I stumbled across a singer on YouTube and later I found myself singing along to the lyrics of one of his original songs. It had really stuck in my head and I really liked it. I took to my trusted MacBook and wrote a private message saying how his song had made me smile and to let him know how much I liked it. I got a fairly quick response and he told me that I had indeed made him smile and he thanked me. That on turn made me feel so much better.

I've read quite a few stories on Wattpad and I try to comment and praise whenever I really like a story. This is most likely a teenage girl or young woman sitting somewhere writing this purely for fun. But that doesn't mean that they don't need recognition. A nice comment might just make their day.

Another reason why I try to send kind messages to people online, is because I know that the Internet isn't always a great place. For most parts, I would say that it is but online bullying is a real issue. I'm very happy that Dan Howell worked with BBC radio 1 to sort out the special of Internet Takeover focusing on online bullying. Those YouTubers have loud online voices and it matters what they have to say. The first step is informing of the recourses that can help one avoid or fight online bullying.


If I were to do a pledge as they did on the special I would say: "I pledge to spread positivity online, appreciate people and always be kind #NicerInternet"

Be kind - it is always possible, even if it isn't the easiest solution. Also appreciate the people who does something that you take for granted, whether that be family or friends or online personalities or your followers on a social platform. Show love for the people that make your life brighter and better.

Comments

Popular Posts