Dan and Phil's Book Signing in Bristol

Getting the train to Bristol was easy enough as I'd done it before. However, I had waited the last minute to leave and proceeded to forget my ticket, so I had to run back and only narrowly managed to get on my train.

Upon arriving at Bristol, I asked someone for directions and he said to get a bus because the venue was three miles away. Because I was more scared of not getting off at the right stop with a bus I had never been on before, I opted for the walk, which I had already mapped out from home.

It took a while but I got there. Half an hour before it was supposed to start and there were so many people. The weather had been very "English" (read: gloomy with drizzling rain) but for most parts we didn't get rained on. However, at almost 21 years old I was definitely one of the oldest if you discounted all the parents that had been dragged along.

In the entrance, our tickets were scanned and we got a snazzy wristband.


We had the opportunity to take photos with cardboard Dan and Phil but I didn't get in that queue as I was on my own and asking strangers to take my photo was too terrifying. I'll just leave you with a smudged shot of someone else.


I'm not much for queuing but actually time moved quite fast. Maybe, it was because the closer I got, the more nervous I got. One girl far ahead of me either fainted or had a panic attack but she had her dad with her and security looked after her too. I just hope she got to meet the boys afterwards. At that point in time, I was more worried about not freaking out about being in a huge, smushed together crowd myself or I might have been the one struggling to breathe.


When I finally got up to the blue screen, it felt odd. I could peak through the side and see Phil. It was surreal that they were right there. Also, why were they sitting like that? Dan was supposed to be on the left side and Phil on the right. Not the other way around.


However, I soon forgot my slight annoyance when I got ushered along.
"Face the boys - go," the security said after having said it was strictly forbidden to try and take selfies. I had planned to take photos along the way but only managed one before lowering my phone to focus on talking to them.


"Hi..." I said rather awkwardly while trying to take in their appearance. It was odd to see them in real life after having watched their videos for over 2 years. They looked amazing.
"Hi!" Phil said immediately.
"Hello. Hi," Dan said a second later.
They both smiled so brightly, even though they had been signing books and meeting people for nearly one and a half hours.
"How's it going?" Phil asked, which kind of threw me off what I had wanted to say but also put me at ease. He sounded like he really meant it.
"It's going great," I said, probably mumbling. Then I continued to cut off Phil by quickly adding, "I'm from Denmark, so it's so great I could get to meet you."
I get in hindsight that it might sound like I traveled from Denmark to see them. I obviously didn't but I had no time to explain. They both looked taken aback by my statement, so at least I made an impression.
"Really?" Dan asked and smiled brightly while Phil said "Oh, incredible!"
"Incredible. We really appreciate this," Dan continued and handed me back my book, which they somehow had managed to sign without me really noticing.
"Awesome. Thank you," Phil said while I accepted the book from Dan.
"Thank you for seeing us," Dan said and that was the last thing I heard from them.
"Thank you. Bye!" I said and walked off to the side to make room for the next person. It had literally been thirteen seconds but even though it was a bit rushed, the boys still somehow made me feel like they saw and listen to me.
I stopped and snapped a single photo from the other side before I was asked to move along. I wanted to tell them that I thought they were doing a great job but I didn't get the chance to.


I proceeded to walk all the way back to the station and the drizzle had turned into real rain now. I didn't mind though as I felt like I was walking on cloud nine. It might only have been a fleeing moment but it was great to show Dan and Phil that I support them. Even when I didn't have the time to tell them, hopefully actions speak louder than words.

Now, I'll snuggle up with my signed copy of The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire and I might just read it again, although I read it cover to cover the day it came out.


With travel time back and forth and the queuing, I spend about four hours to see them. But somehow, it was actually worth it and I'm really glad I went. I love the book and you can definitely feel the heart and soul of Dan and Phil in it. And now I have my a copy of my own that I actually saw the boys sign.

And the boys seemed to have had a great time too:



Now, I'm even more so looking forward to seeing the boys perform The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire in two days!

Comments

Popular Posts