When I'm Awkward and the Brits Helpful

I've been in England for over a month now and the number of awkward things I've done, and then needed and gotten help without asking, are heavily piling up. I like to think that I'm smart and I can usually solve whatever problem I'm facing on my own. Whether that be a computer glitch or how to get the shower that perfect middle ground between scolding and freezing. 

However, if I'm in a public place where I know people are looking at me or even that they might just walk by and see me, I'll start to panic and my brain shuts down. The problem solving part of my brain that can usually figure out a problem in no time when I'm alone, refuses to function. Faced with something that doesn't go my way, when I'm in public at least, I'll shut down. I think it might be sort of the same thing that triggers my potential anxiety.

Let me list the times where I've been stumped by a problem, panicked and some lovely Brits have helped me out, without me asking them to. To which I have obviously responded to being awkward as heck. 


1. 
Last weekend, I took the train on my own to Bristol for a book signing. I'd gotten on the train fine and when the voice announced we were pulling up to the station, I got up from my seat and went to wait by the door. Half a dozen people waited beside me and because I was closest to the door, they expected me to open it. 

I couldn't. See some of the old trains here have doors that don't have a big green button that lights up like on the Danish trains. I had no idea how to open the door. I looked back at my fellow passengers, probably with fear radiating out of my eyes. They said something but I couldn't even listen properly. It didn't help that we were in a tight space. I felt like a fool and tried to pull away from the door loudly saying I had no idea how to open it and asking (more like pleading really) someone else to open it. 

The girl next to me had her hands full and now a dozen eyes looked at me like I was a weirdo. Great. A man finally reached over my shoulder, pulling down the window and reaching through it, pulling a handle on the outside of the carriage. How could I have known that was what I was supposed to do? Throughly embarrassed and anxious, I hurried out the train with my head held low and my cheeks flaming.


2. 
Although, the story above is by far the one that stressed me out the most, I did have a rather awkward interaction when I first tried to use my university's printing service. I had taken the bus to university early and headed straight to the library determined to figure out this printing situation. I knew I needed to put money on my library card to print and sat down at one of the stationary computers thinking there would be a guide uploaded somewhere on the desktop. There wasn't. I tried to search up a site by using Google but had no such luck and before I could figure it out, I needed to head to class. 

I returned after class and went straight to the help desk, which now was open. She quickly explained to me how to put money on the card and with the right information it was easy. I was back on the right track. That was until I needed to scan my library card at the printer. It had a touch screen where it said scan your card and I put my card down on it, slightly bewildered how a touch screen would be able to scan my card. It wasn't. I removed the card and tried again because according to the drawing on the screen I should place my card there. 

"You need to put it there," said a guy walking past me so quickly that I didn't even get a look at him. Mostly because I was taken aback by the unsuspected human interaction I had just been subjected to. 

I looked to the left of the touch screen and there was grey space where you could scan your card. I wanted to face-palm right then and there. However, I will say that I would probably have figured that one out quite quickly myself as I had only been standing by the machine for ten seconds or so. Still, some overly helpful Brit walked by first.


3. 
I do the majority of my shopping at the local Sainsbury and I always use the self service checkouts. Not only is it quicker, it also means I won't have to interact with a cashier that may or may not judge me for what I buy. For most parts, I don't really care about what they think of my buying habits, as I know they see hundreds of people's groceries a day, but I'd still rather be without it.

One day, I saw a discount if you bought two Pringles. Loving Pringles, I put two in my basket along with my other groceries and then went to the checkout. However, as I beeped in the two Pringles straight after each other, I didn't see the discount appear on screen. Odd, I thought because surely the discount should show right away. Slightly annoyed, I went to cancel one of them as I had only wanted to buy two because of the discount. The moment I pressed cancel, it said wait for "employee approval" or something like that. Shit. Panic mode activated. I frantically tried to press buttons but in a matter of seconds an employee was behind me.

"Want to cancel Pringles?" he asked, while pressing some buttons on the screen.
"I thought there was a discount," I muttered quietly, trying to explain myself.
"Oh, that only shows up at the end," he said cheerfully and shot me a smile before walking off.

Why didn't the bloody discount show right away? That was stupid, I decided - mostly to make myself feel better. I tried to discreetly place one of the Pringles on the row right next to the machine and quickly finish up my checkout. I felt slightly bad for not putting it back in it's right place but I needed to get out of there. 


4. 
When I was in Bristol, I needed to get to a venue that was about three miles from the station. I had known this before hand and mapped out the route I needed to take. The walk would take about forty minutes but I didn't mind. However, when I arrived at Bristol station I looked at a map, wanting to take a paper copy along as well as having the map screenshots on my phone. 

One of the yellow vests saw me and asked if he could help. I explained where I needed to go and he immediately said that I needed to get a bus because it was too far away. I didn't feel like explaining my plan to walk, so I went along with it. He even walked out the front of the station with me and pointed me in the direction of the nearest bus stop. I thanked him and headed that way, as it was the way I needed to head anyway. I didn't get on a bus though as the probability of me missing my stop was too great as I'd never travel by bus in Bristol and my designated stop was a very small one, easy to miss. I didn't feel like sitting in a bus frantically looking out the windows, so I walked instead. Both ways.


5.
This last one isn't one specific instance as the others but rather something I still experience every day. On my way into the city centre from where I live, I have to pass an unregulated crossing, which means that the cars need to stop for me in order for me to be able to pass. In Denmark, this would never work on the quite busy road, which is located next to the bridge but here it does. The Brits stop for pedestrians so often. Sometimes, I even feel bad because they'll stop before I've even reached the crossing properly. I'll pick up my speed and awkwardly wave and smile as a thank you. 

Everyone always stop when they see me, even the busses, which are on a timetable. I'm taken aback by this every day it happens. It's quite nice though and I could definitely get used to it.


I think that's enough stories for now. However, I'm sure this is only the beginning and I have plenty of  awkward encounters in my future. 

Comments

Popular Posts