Dinner & Shakespeare Unplugged For Dad's Birthday

In my family, we always try to do something nice on each other's birthdays. Whether that be as simple as being woken with delicious brunch, eating pancakes all day, having a movie night, going for a fancy dinner or going to Tivoli.

This year for my Dad's birthday, we decided to arrange a nice dinner at a small Italian restaurant in Copenhagen and subsequently go to see a play, called Shakespeare Unplugged. I had brought up the play the week prior because one of my course lecturers had mentioned it because he was the director. As I'm a sucker for Shakespeare in general, I wanted to go anyway and it just worked out we could do it for my Dad's birthday last Friday.

We did our usual morning tradition of making breakfast for the birthday person and having them open presents. This year it was a bit lame present wise as Dad knew almost every present beforehand because he either ordered it himself online or had tried it on in a shop. He's seriously so difficult to buy for though! He never makes a wishlist and if he's in need of something, he'll just buy it for himself.

He had taken the day off and because his birthday this year crashed with the winter holiday, both my Mum and little brother had the day off too. I had to head to university for a couple of hours to have a lecture with the very man who I'd be seeing again later at the play. I didn't tell him though, not quite sure why. I thought it would be weird even though he had formally invited the whole class.

We headed off for an early dinner at the Italian restaurant and we all had a three course dinner. It was very delicious but I didn't take any photos of the food (reminds self to do that in the future so not all my blog posts need to be this text heavy). I had bruschetta, spagetti carbonara (without bacon as I'm still staying clear of that) and a chocolate mousse with whipped cream on top. It was an okay dinner, the main dish was really good though we got a way too big portion but I didn't like the texture of the mousse and scraped off the whipped cream which I seriously dislike. The bruschetta was really good though I opted out of the one with smoked salmon on top and scraped off the tomato on the others.

We headed for the play at Krudttønden, which was a bit of a weird experience since the last time I was there was just over a year ago. It was in February last year that Copenhagen experienced a terrorist  attack at that very place. I went to the memorial concert a few days later and felt very emotional. As we arrived there was still flowers outside, no doubt laid out on the anniversary, which just passed last week.

Seeing a lecturer outside of the class room is always a weird experience but this was the most odd thing ever. When I first saw him I wasn't even sure that it was in fact him. He looked and sounded so different. It definitely showed me how much ones way of speaking/accent as well as dress sense can affect how you portray yourself.

They opened the doors fifteen minutes before showtime and we were some of the first in the door. We took front row seats, though technically there were seats in front of us, as in the tables on the "stage". I didn't feel comfortable sitting smack down on the set, which would just encourage audience participation. No thanks.

I managed to snap a few photos on my way out but honestly, they're a bit rushed. I didn't ever feel like pulling out my phone during the play as I was just so engrossed with it from the start. Though I want pretty photos, I also want to enjoy what's happening in front of me and not just see it through a screen.


It was an absolutely amazing play. With only four cast members, it still seemed to work perfectly. Basically, two older British men want to teach a young Danish bartender how to woo a girl based on old Shakespearian methods. Hilarity ensures as the female bartender actually has a crush on the guy, who's trying to woo a different girl.

The chemistry between them made it all worth it and whole crap my lecturer can act. As my mother correctly said, he's got that kind of rubber face that can just transform entirely. It was very obvious he loved very moment of it, maybe a tiny bit too much when he couldn't stop laughing during a pretend death-scene.


It's definitely worth the money, though still expensive at 150 DKK for +25 year olds/95 DKK for under 25. We had a great time and hearing Shakespeare monologues and conversations in both English and Danish made for an odd yet wonderful combination. So happy I got it recommended and the whole family throughly enjoyed it as well. What a great way to end and celebrate my Dad's birthday!

Comments

Popular Posts