Leap Year Thoughts

I've always been someone who likes special dates. Not like date-dates but calendar dates.

Growing up I always felt like the 01.01.01, 02.02.02, 03.03.03, 04.04.04, 05.05.05, 06.06.06, 07.07.07, 08.08.08, 09.09.09, 10.10.10, 11.11.11 and finally 12.12.12 were cute dates. Just look at it! Am I the only one who can get excited by this? Probably not. Does that still make it odd? Yes, probably.

There's just something about the fact that the calendar only looks like that every hundred years. It's cool and I would always remember to look at the digital calendar stamp in my parents' car when I was younger. Later it became my own phone and computer but back in the old days, it would be on their car's display.

I've had the same fascination with leap years. Like every fourth year we just get an extra day? And of course it's given to February, who for some reason doesn't fit in with any of the other months, who have 30 or 31 days. Still in leap years, February is a day less. But that's what makes that month extra special and it's kind of nice.

I logged into Google's homepage (total coincidence as I almost never go onto the homepage, I just use my search bar) and I saw this adorable GIF representing the leap year. Isn't it so cute? *crosses fingers GIFs work on this platform as I've never put one in before*


Yay! It does. I definitely should remember also to search for GIFs when I'm struggling to tie a photo to one of my posts. I've made a promise to myself that all posts must have at least one image. I write too much anyway but with images it doesn't seem so heavy.

I always remember which years are leap years by recalling when the Olympics take place. Since I've not really been able to remember much since before 2000, it's easy because that year was such an amazing mark for so many reasons and it was a year of the Olympics, which repeats every fourth year as well.

If we quickly go back to the very long list of numbers posted at the beginning (I legitimately sat and typed those out and I honestly don't regret it, they look cool), one of those twelve dates mean a little more than others and I want to write down the reason for it on here, so if I should ever forget (though I doubt it) I can get reminded if I ever look through this blog.

On the 7th of July 2007 (aka. 07.07.07), my parents bought me a horse. Technically, I didn't get her home for almost two months but I still think it's so cool that she was officially bought on that date. What seemed even more fitting is that her name is Miss Moneypenny and that many 0's and 7's automatically bring James Bond references to my mind. I didn't pick her name but I do love it very much. I still have her, even after all these years, and she's such an important part of my life, even though I do go through phrases of feeling like she's a bit of a chore.

I hate to write that because it does make my guts twist. I've never, ever, ever, stopped loving her and I don't think I ever will. But sometimes maintaining dressage training or go going out to see her when it's cold or I'm tired, it gets rough. But mostly, it's a different story when I'm there. When I walk into the stables and hear her neigh out because she recognises my footsteps.

I know all her quirks and she knows mine. We're a team, an equipage, and even when I'm mad at her because she's too excited and jumps around or nudges me to get a treat or accidentally steps on my feet, I still love her. And most of the time, I love going to see her and to train with her and miss it terribly if I haven't been in a while. Without a doubt, she's helped shape whom I've grown up to be.

The fact she was bought on such a special day, which somehow tied into her name just makes me think it was meant to be. I was only thirteen with less than two years of experience handling horses and she was a frisk 4 year old filly. It was a match that should have gone wrong but it didn't.

Well there I went out on a tangent once again, I'm not very good at sticking with the theme. But back to my fascination with special dates. I feel like today, 29th of February 2016, is a rare day.


Though it hasn't been extremely eventful for me, I still feel like I've had a lovely day. I started the day by waking up around nine and frantically e-mailing an advisor because my writing partner and I still does not have a supervisor for our BA project. Then I chilled and watched some YouTubevideos and afterwards, I drove out to my horse. I saddled her up and when for a ride in the forest. It's the first time I've been with her to the forest since I came home from exchange and though she was a bit jumpy and jittery, it was so lovely. The sun was out and the air was fresh and my horse was happy and excited. Then I came home, cuddled up with my dog for an hour before heading to work, from where I'm currently writing this. I've been her for a couple of hours but finish in less than fifteen minutes. Afterwards, I'm going for sushi with one of my best friends and then I'm heading home to maybe watch some Internet Takeover on BBC Radio 1 or pick up the book I'm reading.

It might seem like a very dull and boring day but I like it very much. It's simple but filled with things I love doing. It's not very stressful and I am making myself not worry about the supervisor situation (apparently someone is working on getting us one). There's supposed to be enough supervisors for everyone but the nearly dozen of supervisors we've contacted already have too many students to supervise. This isn't the first time it has happened but it's so frustrating.

I won't let it affect my mood though because I've been in a great mood all day. Maybe, it's the lovely weather, my not-stressed schedule, spending time with my animals, the music I've been listening to (Common Culture Vol. 3) or just having a positive attitude because I wanted to have a good day on leap day and consequently made it so.

Comments

Popular Posts