Uploading Every Day in December

Okay, I'll be honest I didn't think I'd manage to upload a piece of writing every single day in December. I thought it was a nice challenge albeit a tiny bit far fetched. I managed to upload 24 consecutive days last December but that was for one specific story and the updates would only be around 500 words a day. This was a much bigger challenge but somehow (I'm still not sure quite how) I actually managed it?


If you don't believe how unsure I was of whether I'd managed it, I will share with you the very first line of the note where I kept track of my uploads: "Will I be able to do it? Let’s see ;)". I stared at this every time I opened that note and I think somehow taunting myself actually helped. And it was nerve-wracking sometimes attempting to get everything up on time, especially when I was out with family or friends for the evening.

Found on here - I tell you it can be scary watching that little wheel process and upload your words

I estimate around two thirds of the words I published in the previous month was written during it, so I was writing loads throughout the month as well. It didn't exactly help that December was a fairly busy month with work and many more social obligations than I would have regularly. Still, I managed to post over 83,000 words!

That's actually insane that I managed to upload so many words and while I was a bit wary of uploading a couple of the stories, overall I'm so proud and happy with everything I uploaded. I have to be happy when I read through my stories and the whole point behind writing them is that I hope by allowing someone else to read them, they'll enjoy them as well.

The feedback I've gotten both from Wattpad comments and Tumblr reblogs have been so goddamn nice and it's honestly the best feeling ever when someone tells you that they liked what you've spent hours pouring your creativity, energy and emotions into. I honestly don't think anything can beat that feeling, maybe only when I manage to type the final words to a story and sit back and look at it while feeling accomplished in my own private moment - that one is pretty great too.

Over the 31 days, I uploaded
  • 7 blog posts
  • 6 new short stories/one shots
  • 18 chapters across 6 longer chaptered stories

Wow, that's a lot. And I also seriously need to wrap up some of those chaptered stories. Six stories are way to many to keep updated regularly and the word count on some of them already is quite insane. Hopefully, January can bring an end to at least two of them, maybe three if I kick myself in the butt. Still, celebration is in order. I set myself a difficult challenge and I actually managed to do it! Hurrah!

Found here - I *smashed* it! Get it? I beat my challenge piñata to a bulb!

I'll stop with the writing challenges for a little while though. I have so much happening work-wise and study-wise just around the corner to add more to my plate, especially because apparently I'm capable of meeting my own challenges? I keep being slightly surprised by myself.

However, I do think I'll try to do some writing every single day if I can manage. I was watching this YouTube video by Hannah Hoffman, who I originally followed for her art on Tumblr, and she mentioned in the journey to learn how to draw you should not have any more free days. If you want something, you should work on it in some capacity every single day. I don't know what I want to do with my writing but I want to keep becoming better at it, which means I'll have to work with it constantly and it's something really want to do. It's a good thing that academic writing can count as well.

Comments

Popular Posts